Summer 2018 Undergraduate Assistantships
Franklin H. and Virginia M. Spivey
Summer Undergraduate Fellowships
in Marine Research and Education
At the USC Baruch Marine Field Laboratory
USC undergraduates in the School of the Earth, Ocean, and Environment (marine science, geosciences, and environment & sustainability) are invited to apply for a 10-week summer research assistantship focusing on zooplankton and water quality analyses at the Baruch Marine Field Laboratory in Georgetown, SC. Two positions will be available for summer 2018.
The Assistantship: Students will work with Drs. Jay Pinckney and Erik Smith on research projects in estuarine and coastal ecosystems. This work will take place in the North Inlet and Winyah Bay estuaries and will involve:
- Field collections of zooplankton with plankton nets.
- Analyses of archived zooplankton samples.
- Field collection of water samples and collection of in situ water quality data using automated samplers and in situ water quality sensors; laboratory analyses of organic matter (C, N, and P) concentrations, biological degradation kinetics, and optical characteristics, as well as a suite of ancillary water quality data; statistical analysis and interpretation of field and laboratory data.
- Additional opportunities will exist to gain exposure to other research and monitoring actives conducted by the North Inlet – Winyah Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve so as to broaden the overall experience provided by the internship.
Each full-time (37.5 hours per week) position is from Monday June 4 through Friday August 10. The rate is $11.50 per hour. Health insurance will be provided during the assistantship if you are not otherwise covered (e.g., Student Health Plan, parent's plan). Housing will be provided in one of the Baruch dormitories on site (Hobcaw Barony).
APPLICATION: Email Dr. Matt Kimball (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assistant Director of the Baruch Marine Field Laboratory, with the following information:
(1) your name, contact information, year in school, and major,
(2) why you are interested and how this fits into your training and plans for the future, and
(3) your availability to work the equivalent of 5 full days per week during the 10-week period.
Note: only undergraduates who will not graduate before August 2018 are eligible.
Application deadline is Monday, February 26, 2018.
If you have any questions, contact Dr. Kimball (843-904-9030, email@example.com) prior to the application deadline. Two successful applicants will be notified by Friday, March 5, 2018.